Monday, September 24, 2012

Decorating Intervention

Not advice, just some thoughts.

I don't prefer "a look" as much as I prefer ambiance, a tone and mood in a room. Peaceful - Quiet - Cozy - Edgy - Eclectic - Fun - etc..but it all has to tie back to me and my family in a personal way.

I prefer a room that is edited or diffused,  than one that is cluttered and draped with every bell and whistle that shows up in the current trends. I take away more than I add or I do nothing... while I wait for a sign and/or that next gotta have it inspirational piece. 

With a friend or a client the first thing I strongly convey is "it takes time".  Let it happen. I don't really ever want to  get to the end of my home projects but we all want to get over the artistic block or hurdle and have it come together.  I don't want my house or anyone else's to ever look or feel decorated. Our home is personal.

If you find a something that really inspires you,  don't be afraid to change every thing in a space to make it work. Forget any "rules". It is easy to get overwhelmed but change in any room will give you a new and refreshed perspective. Once I make changes, I usually want to hang out in that space more than others.

I consult my girlfriends! Who I have known and who have known me for many moons.  They have fabulous ideas and input. I love that. 

I am a hoarder of  interior magazines and don't throw them out. I tear out anything that really hits me and put in a binder or post on an idea board so that I will remember to revisit. Even with the Internet....I am a magazine and book girl. To cut costs,  I got rid of all personal subscriptions but often pick up old & the  expensive mags at thrift stores for next to nothing or free!

We all have a style that is uniquely us. I repeat, you do have your own style that is uniquely you. Get some input to help you define it. DON'T be someone else's vanilla and don't be your neighbor. 

Be YOU

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! I LOVE it!! And I am also a hoarder of interior magazines....my whole family thinks I should pitch them but I find inspiration in them season after season. =)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog